Unusually for me.. this entry is a whinge(sorry). It falls to me to run the household accounts. Based on feedback from friends I decided to have a look round to see if we could do better on our Electricity / Gas. There actually wasn’t much in it.. our existing supplier, Scottish Power could give us a better deal (not surprised that they don’t volunteer the information – much better to leave their customers in the dark and carry on overcharging). So, I thought.. ok.. lets change our tariff (hey its easy to do it online – the website said so).
So, I selected change tariff. All was well until I got to the point of actually confirming that yes I had read the terms and condiitions, understood the cooling off period and wanted to switch. Whats this? Oh dear an error stopping me completing the transaction. Mmmm. Its telling me our phone number is wrong (funny it didn’t complain when I put it in). I should explain that where I live our number is just 5 digits, not the usual 6. BUT, the ‘system’ let me enter it and was quite happy. It wasn’t til I tried to complete the tariff change it complained about the number. Hmmm. So, I tried to call the callcentre (twice). Both times to be told they were too busy and just disconnected.. not asked if I wanted to hold. Email is the thing obviously. So I sent an email via their contactus page, picking the nearest thing as a title (as they dont seem to believe people are capable of creating a title of their own) and waited. I got an automated mail back telling me that they would respond to me within 5 working days (SERIOUSLY?).
I eventually got a mail a couple of days later telling me that they had fixed my account number (hmmm it wasnt the account number that was wrong) and pointing out the tariff I wanted was no longer available (what a shock!). I replied that it was the phone number that was a problem and confirmed I wanted to change my tariff.
So a few days passed with no response. I thought – ok .. I can add a zero to my 5 digit number so that I can then complete the transaction without involving their callcentre. I dutifully added a zero to the 5 digit number. The ‘system’ accepted it. I then went to change my tariff online. All was well until it came to confirming the transaction again. ARRGGHHH The change to the phone number hadn’t been picked up yet so it rejected it. At this point in a fit of pique, I decide to ring their callcentre. I tried – twice. Both times I got disconnected before the automated voice response system had finished wasting 5 minutes giving me all the options. (Oh for a cut the crap and let me speak to someone option).
So despite my best efforts to stay a Scottish Power customer, I admitted defeat, went to Uswitch.com, found a cheaper supplier and am just working through the cooling off period then the switch will happen.
The sad thing is that I would’ve been happy to stick with Scottish Power. They didn’t seem to want me! A prime example of how NOT to look after a customer.
Thanks for reading.